Saturday, May 16, 2009

TEACHER: MY JOB

My love towards a man is incredible. I may do every single thing in life just to be by his side. That is because I know he is worth it to risk my life for. I won’t do for nothing.

But my love towards my job is unbelievable. Not towards my job particularly, but more towards my kids, the one and only reason I wake up for in the morning, the only reason I dress up before I go to school and the only reason I gather my strength to go to th torturing place called ‘school’.

Last week, there was a small letter on my table. It was from Sufi Ifwat, one of the naughtiest but outstanding boy in 3 Bestari. He wrote,


“My beloved Miss Julia,
Why are you so sad lately? I hope to see your smile again.
You are the best teacher in the world.
From, Sufi Ifwat”

What an incredible kid. He just knew how to cheer me up. Just by reading that small piece of torn paper, it had put a little jiggling on my face. And that was not the only incident.

Today was teacher’s day. I just got back from PD for course, rushing to IPBA for a dance practise and I could feel the pain on my whole body. So, I wasn’t so look forward for the celebration. I did tell my students that they do not have to get me anything because what I really want is their ‘A’s in their examinations.

Apparently, I got so many flowers and presents. The table was just so full of things that I couldn’t even find my handbag. That was not it. The letters and cards, these had captured my heart.

Do you know how people say that kids are so pure and honest? If that was true, then I guess I must be too good for a teacher. I went home with these cards and letters. I found a place at the corner of the room and started reading. Without my realisation, tears started to role dowm my cheek. So pethatic, kan? But it’s true. These kids had touched my heart, they really did.

I wonder if there is such a thing called “Accountants Day” or “Engineers Day” or “Executives Day” and if there is, do people get presents for them as a token of saying thank you. But I am so bloody proud of being a teacher. Not only that people celebrate it to say thank you to us, but it is a noble job regardless how low-standard people see us and how small our payments are. Some parents called and sent sms to say thank you and wishing me a good life head. I’m so glad that in this millennium years, there are parents who still appreciate teachers even though they earn 10 times our salary.

PAKCIK wished me few times. I could tell that he is so proud of my job. He always reminded me of how noble my job is. He loves to hear my stories about the kids in school. Every day, he will ask me for any interesting stories at school. He is already on top, holding one of the good positions in his company, but he respects me as a person. He asks me to join his friends (who mostly drive big Merz and earn 5 figures permonth) but they always respect me. They call me by ‘cikgu’ and they always want to share my experience as a teacher. These people, they have gone through life more than us, so I guess that is why they know how important teachers are.

But sadly, none of my TKC buddies wish me Happy Teachers Day. Not that I hoped for it, but I guess that TKC girls are mostly too high class. I guess they have forgotten the role of teachers in TKC itself.

Of course they are bad teachers too. Not all teachers are born to become a teacher. But mostly, they work their ass out to educated today’s kids and prepare them for a more challenging life.

Whatever it is, I am so proud of being a teacher regardless what people say. I may earn smaller than others. But I make more money at my side incomes, I earn more experience. I work with the best bunch of people, my office is so cool, I would be at home at 2pm every day, I have time to socialize, I get respect from parents and kids, and last but not least, I get the title ‘cikgu’ for the rest of my life. I’m so happy with my job.

HAPPY TEACHERS’ DAY, TEACHERS.

5 comments:

  1. HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY DARLS!

    You made it this far...am proud of ya ;)!

    p/s your kids they are so sweeeeeeet and cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hyepppp..happy teacher's day..=p

    ReplyDelete
  3. babe.. u r such a good teacher at heart u know. one thing i wonder...i love my kids too..but why i didnt get the same loving!??? huhuhu

    actually..its true... its not the pressie that counts.. i like to read their words, because they do have a pure heart.

    nway, happy teachers day. keep on going what u do best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. julie! happy teacher's day. i noe it's quite late to wish. batter late than never aite? :p all the best in wuteva u do k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy teachers day!
    sorry i didn't wish you earlier..it almost june now.. sorry3x..
    i will remind myself to wish you on time next time.. =) i hope i do remember...

    ReplyDelete